Saturday, January 31, 2009

G.O. (Girls Only) Day

I was nervous. Suspend your disbelief. How can your AGOL be nervous with a simple thing that was all her idea? Sprinkles was having a playdate with her cousin's (almost) 10-year old daughter Kristen...

It took a little planning and googling to make sure I was ready to pick up Kristen at her dance class and at the correct address. A quick phone call to her mother while driving in the parking lot assured me of the little details as to which building in the cluster of buildings she was taking her class. After parking and walking inside, I felt weird. Weird because I didn't know what to expect and the fact that I wasn't a mom coming to pick up her own kid. Could the other moms tell? Probably not. They were probably wondering who was the overdressed chick with supershine lipgloss. Eh.

Thirty minutes later, this beautiful baby gazelle and I were on the way to Ybor City for a decadent lunch at La Creperia. The restaurant was busy from the extra Super Bowl visitors around town, but we managed to get a table. The waitress recognized me from my last visit. Kristen and I shared a savory breakfast crepe as well as a sweet one. In between bites, I gave her a lesson on how to properly set a table. She demonstrated back the lesson very well.

Our bellies full, we toddled a couple of blocks through the burgeoning throng of people gathering on Super Bowl Eve. I couldn't believe how many Steelers fans there were milling the street! Tawny opened the doors to the art building for us and in minutes we were creating with plastic clay. We listened to Tawny give us the lesson and guide us through the process. Kristen and I listened like greedy children being given rare candy.

Kristen's plaques: Nature & A Mermaid. Didn't she do a great job?! She is awesome.


AGOL's plaques: Love & Miracles


While we waited for all the paint and metallic rubs to dry, we three took a short jaunt to Gameworks where we played arcade games and won enough tickets to redeem for prizes. I made sure Kristen picked a toy for her younger brother and another to share with him. She conned me into taking us to Marble Slab Creamery down the way for ice cream. The little ghoul ordered Chocolate Swiss topped with gummi bears. Ewwwww.

While we three enjoyed our cool treats, I called Kristen's mom to give her a status report and let her know we would be home around an hour. We went back to the art building, gathered our new pieces of art and made our way through the Latin Quarter to garage where the spaces that were vacant before our lunch was now packed like sardines. Tampa was definitely enjoying hosting this great sporting event.

SuperBowl Eve in Ybor City's "Centro Ybor". Steeler's fans were everywhere! It was barely 6pm.


The drive home was a discussion on future art days together and the favorites of the day. Kristen's favorite was making the plaques. For me, it was the whole day of seeing her enjoy more of the world.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: