Saturday, January 09, 2010

Ecclesiastes 3

My time for open surgery has been scheduled on Tuesday the 12th at 1:15pm. It is two days before my birthday and I cannot think of a better present to myself than the gift of health!

Wednesday found me shuffling between floors at Moffitt Cancer Center. I spoke to several individuals and was physically examined by two doctors that day. My wonderful friend Tawny accompanied me the whole time. The late afternoon had me participating in pre-operative tests and extensive instructions so I would be prepared for Tuesday. Our visit lasted a total of over five hours. We were hungry and exhausted. Before too many phone calls were made to family and friends, Tawny and I finally ate at our favorite Mexican place.

So a bit about the surgery...I am instructed to check in three hours before surgery having already bathed in antibacterial soap. No make-up, perfume, nail polish and lotion are to be applied before surgery. Eek! Anyhoo... The surgery itself should last about an hour if the sample of the cyst taken to pathology is found to be non-cancerous and requires three days hospital stay. If it is cancerous, surgery could be up to two and half hours because of further removal of reproductive organs and tissue with four or five days hospital stay. Either way still requires six weeks recovery time at home.

Thursday and Friday made for busy days between sorting out work stuff and hospital stuff during work hours. There is much to do before surgery day. My human resource department have been extra helpful in making sure my pay during this time is properly coded so not only do I get the benefits of Short-Term Disability (60% of regular pay) supplemented with my loads of sick days I've hardly taken over the years. This should assure me a full paycheck during my leave of absence and still be able to accrue more vacation time while in recovery. Few employees have this luxury and peace of mind.

This weekend I will run last minute errands, start to pack two suitcases (one for my aunt's house and one for the hospital), tidy my apartment a bit and also visit my aunt and uncle to go over the plan for Tuesday. I will still go to work on Monday instead of being at home spending too much time thinking about the following day.

The support of family and friends I have is immense and my care at Moffitt is top notch. My blessings are still being counted... Thank you to everyone!

Love and Kisses,
Sarah

............................................

Ecclesiastes 3

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Losing lbs. for your birthday!

Luv ya!