Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mardi Gras

Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Let the good times roll!

I, Sarah Sprinkles, only need the slightest glimmer of an excuse for any kind of party. This time it was for New Orleans' Mardi Gras. My Asian Mafia had a special lunch. I brought the main dish of Gumbo over rice. Bridget was able to find a local bakery offering King Cake pastry which was crucial to an authentic Mardi Gras celebration. We also had fruit, veggies and chicken wings...

Work has been very demanding especially now that my boss is emerging as the golden boy within our new group which means that his employees have to keep up the good work and surpass each success more success. The pressure is on all time.

In a recent post, I mentioned losing someone in the office. We lost an amazing human being named Dan who also happened to be Korean Kim's boss. The last time he went out to have a good time with friends, I was there. One of the last times I saw him, he was walking around in a bit of pain but still carried around his signature smile and humor. He had survived leukemia and now was attacked by numerous tumors in his spine. There was no way he would survive the surgery or surgeries to remove them. Around twelve weeks later, he was gone at having just turned 50 years old.

This well-loved man saw me in a few compromising scenes at work during my naughty joking moments with the Asian Mafia. He would not let me forget each one and would break us into laughter every time. Actually seeing his handsome smiling face in an elegant black and white picture, dressed for his daughter's wedding, displayed at his memorial service undid any resolve I had to maintain composure. I could only imagine what his life partner Bruce was going through. He will surely be missed by many.

With all this heavy stuff, I couldn't stand it any longer. We needed a small break and here came Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday)...

A bit of Mardi Gras tradition: King Cake!


This was a Sunday afternoon cooking effort crammed into a weekday night timeframe right after shopping for the ingredients. Don't believe me? Here's Paula Deen's recipe link for Gumbo.

AGOL's homemade Gumbo reheated in crock pot which made anyone near the conference room where this was set-up hungry and curious as to where the aroma was originating. You have to watch out for sneaky Filipinos, you know.


Korean Kim was the lucky recipient of the plastic baby embedded in the cake symbolizing luck in the new year. It's a good sign when she is trying to sell her home to move into something newer and smaller.



Check out the beads I gave out to the girls around Kim's neck. I also made flowers out of metallic goldtone pipe cleaners to embellish and fulfill the Green/Purple/Yellow Mardi Gras colors. The girls thought I was insane. Maybe a little. They came away from the lunch with a memento they can hang in their cubicle.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: