Thursday, December 31, 2009

Spaces in Between

RECENT NOTE TO MY GLAMOROUS FRIEND JILL:

So my dear...I wanted badly to see you over Christmas for lunch or something but I've been dealing with matters that are taking precedence, namely my health.

The protusion in my stomach is not just fat, but an ovarian cyst about 25 cm/10in. in size. I look 9 months preggo right now and my legs are swollen to capacity thanks to less circulation. How did I find out?

I was checking out *** and had a consult with a surgeon because of my burgeoning tummy. I was eating less but it was getting bigger so I thought I was just out of control somehow. I told him my stomach was distended more than it should be and was firm. He examined me and agreed and immediately ordered a CT scan and that's when he told me at our follow-up that it could be cancer and he made arrangements for an urgent appt with my gyno.

Met with gyno two days ago who has since scheduled me for a meeting with a gynecological oncologist at Moffitt for next Wednesday. The results for the blood drawn on Monday will be ready for that appt. We still don't know for sure but what I do know is that the size explains all the weird things happening to me and will be relieved once extracted through open surgery. I will be recovering at my aunt's in Brandon after.

To me, this is just another piece of news. I told my family we are approaching this with a project plan and with humor. Anything less is not acceptable. I have already lived through worse so this is nothing. Also, to put things in perspective, I am not a child burn victim or a dad who just lost his job and home while trying to figure out how to feed his wife and kids nor am I a mom with cancer figuring out how to take care of her kids.

The bad news is having to wear elastic waistband jeans. EWWW
The good news to me is that I finally have some answers and I am gonna lose some weight!

Just letting you know..

Hugs,
S


JILL'S RESPONSE:

I would start out with the OMG's and WTF's but we dont' have time for that....

I am here for you. I will call you after my lunch appointment so we can plan out the "divicious" plan of attack-that word is (Div ISH IS).

First and formost...fashion...what makeup will you wear in surgery....what lounguing outfits should we buy? Oh the details. I am not making light of this AT ALL...but we must handle this with our everlasting positive attitude and sense of humor, there is no other way to get through this. I love you very much my friend and I will call you in a few hours. Everything will be OK.

SPRINKLES RESPONSE:
You are my honey! I was thinking the same thing. Need to find some hot pink socks and I need to figure out my air fresheners for my room because I am not smelling hospital smells. Ick. xo

....................................................

This is the kind of friendship(s) I have in my life... Tawny has been with me at every appointment if she is able, being patient and supportive. My cousin Angie just bought me pink comfy and sensible slippers for the hospital (as opposed to the ones with maribou feathers I secretly like) -- as well as lots of other incredibly nice things she does everyday for me especially during her Christmas visit! My galpals at work have helped me re-tie my shoes and re-adjust my chairs for comfort. Kathy listens and offers words of encouragement that I've normally given her in the past. Kristey and Myrna are there, too, just waiting for me to say the word 'help'. I can't even begin to tell you about my family...

I just love everyone so much and want it all to be better. It is the spaces in between these appointments that try my patience and my independence. At least I have Las Vegas neon pink socks and vanilla air fresheners to look forward to when this alien juice is out of me. ;p

Joy and Magic to all of us in the New Year!

Love,
Sprinkles xxxoo
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

esruel said...

I often drop by here, and am sorry to read about the problems with your health. Had a similar thing happen due to a kidney stone. Nothing remotely as serious as yours, though. I'm sure when the cyst is removed you will be fine x
Take care
Peter from England (not your ex who you visted lol)

helloagol said...

Hello Peter -- I was not in Internet range over the New Year so I am just now replying to your thoughtful note.

Thanks very much for your well wishes. I just can't wait to be able to eat and breathe normally again. This alien amoeba is pressing up against vital organs. Cheeky fucker. Hee.

You take care, too. Glad to see you're back in the working world. ;p

-Sprinkles