Friday, October 16, 2009

Watching Wild Things

This long week deserved a nice feel-good ending. I was supposed to be hanging out with my old friend Jill, but I was afraid to drive home late from her home as tired as I have been. The evening may have involved some libations. You remember me and my night blindness? Anyhoo, Tawny asked me to see a later showing of "Where the Wild Things Are", an adaptation of the children's book by Maurice Sendak.

During Comic-Con* in July, I had the pleasure of seeing a preview of the movie. Clips shown to us included behind the scenes and some of Sendak. All of this will probably appear on the DVD later.

Representing his movie at Comic-Con was the child actor, Max Records, who portrays a child who basically has a tantrum. He leaves his home wearing a wolf costume and ends up sailing to, you guess it, where the wild things are.

Max Records below on two jumbo screens.


I felt the same sense of wonder tonight as I did in July. The cinematography was breathtaking with the tight shots -- Spike Jonze (director) did an amazing job. You can really get the sense from a child's point of view. The special effects didn't smack you over the head either; the story stayed center stage.

Your AGOL highly recommends seeing this movie. Its simplicity is beautiful and heart-warming. When was the last time a movie told you a story without engaging you in too many complicated subplots and distracting special effects? Exactly.


*Yes, I know I owe you pics of celebrities and events of this portion of my vacation. Still thinking about it.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: